STAMFORD, CT – The Ferguson Library will celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Weed Memorial & Hollander Branch, with a community party at the branch, 1143 Hope Street, Thursday, October 9 from 5 – 7 p.m. All are welcome.
The Ferguson’s Weed Memorial & Hollander Branch was originally built as a farmhouse sometime around 1810. The house had several owners, and at one point even housed a small school. In 1890, it was sold to Emmett L. Weed for $2,200. When Weed’s widow, Jennie, died in 1952, she bequeathed the house, property and $20,000 to the city, with the proviso that it become a branch of The Ferguson Library. In 1954, it became the Library’s very first branch.
Over the years, the Weed Branch became a beloved part of the neighborhood, a gathering spot to connect with friends and neighbors, a place to read, study or just visit. But the tiny branch was bursting at the seams. In May, 2005, work began to renovate and enlarge the building to bring it into the 21st century, while preserving its historic charm (original beams were even salvaged and used in the upstairs meeting room). The new Weed Memorial & Hollander Branch (renamed to acknowledge a generous gift from Dr. and Mrs. Milton Hollander of Stamford) is a light, airy building with ample space for children, teens and adults. It blends the charm of a farmhouse with the amenities of a modern library, and sixty years later, continues to be the hub of the Springdale community.
The party is open to all and features light refreshments and the cool jazz of ‘Cookie’ Thomas and his band. For more information call 203 351-8286. Generously supported by the Friends of The Ferguson Library.