Text size

  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Size: 100%

Search catalog->

One Public Library Plaza     Stamford CT 06904     203 964-1000

Español  |  Русский  |  Italiano  |  Français & Ayisyen  |  العربية  |  Português  |  Polski  |  中文

You are here:

Stamford Through the Centuries - 1700's

In 1701, there was a final treaty between Stamford and the Indians.

Throughout the 1700s many households in Stamford had slaves, although free blacks also lived in Stamford.

How the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) affected Stamford

Like other colonial communities, Stamford was divided between Patriots, people who wanted to be freed from Great Britain, and Loyalists, people who thought the British should continue to rule the American colonies. During the nine years of fighting, Stamford was at the center of schemes, plots, and raids, by sea and by land. Abraham Davenport was a Patriot leader during the Revolutionary War.

Early in the American Revolutionary War, Colonel Benjamin Tallmadge used Shippan as a departure point for a small group of ships that sailed to Long Island.  On Sept 5, 1779 his Hundred Light Dragoons attacked a force of 500, took 100 prisoners, and returned to Stamford. No one was killed. This event is marked with a plaque at the Stamford Yacht club.    

Fort Stamford

Theodore RooseveltUnder the direction of General David Waterbury a fort was built in 1781 to protect Stamford from raids. It was designed by Colonel Rufus Putnam, the architect of West Point. It was made of earthwork and was 135 feet by 165 feet, with an inside area of 30 square feet.

Do you know where the fort was located? There is now a monument at the site off Westover Road.   

In 1783 the Treaty of Paris was signed which ended war between the American colonists and Britain. But tension between the Patriots and the Loyalists in Stamford continued even after the war was over.

During this time, the Long Island Sound was used for shipping goods and it is possible that there were pirates threatening the merchant ships on Long Island Sound.

By 1790, Stamford was an agricultural and market town of 4,051 people.  The residents were mostly farmers who raised potatoes, wheat corn, rye, oats, and livestock. They exported their surpluses to the New York market.  But, during the 1700s, artisans like blacksmiths, gunsmiths, carpenters, hatters, tailors, shoemakers, coopers and silversmiths joined the farmers living in Stamford. In addition to running their households, some women also managed small stores and inns.