Health Insurance Marketplace
Health Insurance Marketplace. Enrollment begins October 1.
Starting October 1, 2013, the Health Insurance Marketplace, sometimes known as the health insurance “exchange” will begin open enrollment. Coverage starts January 1, 2014.
The Marketplace website will be the primary tool for delivering information to Americans about their health coverage options.
Quick facts about the Health Insurance Marketplace
• The Health Insurance Marketplace is for people seeking insurance or who are uninsured. Generally, people who currently have insurance through their workplace, who have insurance through Medicaid/ Medicare, Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP),Tricare or the Veterans health care program are not the target of this open enrollment period.
• Most people will be eligible for health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
• The Marketplace is a new way to find quality health coverage. It can help if you don’t have coverage now or if you have it but want to look at other options.
• The Marketplace simplifies your search for health coverage by gathering the options available in your area in one place. You can compare plans based on price, benefits, and other features important to you before you make a choice. Plans will be presented in four categories – bronze, silver, gold, and platinum – to make comparing them easier.
• Insurance plans in the Marketplace are offered by private companies. They cover the same core set of benefits called essential health benefits. No plan can turn you away or charge you more because you have an illness or medical condition. They must cover treatments for these conditions. Plans can’t charge women more than men for the same plan. Many preventive services are covered at no cost to you.
How it works ….
6 minute video about the Health Insurance Marketplace APPLICATION
introduces an interactive online application process for health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace on HealthCare.gov.
4 minute video about the Health Insurance Marketplace ENROLLMENT
Introduces the Marketplace enrollment process for health coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace on HealthCare.gov.
Find local Assistance and Information
Visit LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov to find help in your area. More sites are listed each day leading up to October 1. You can search by city and state or zip code to see a list of local organizations with contact information, office hours, and types of help offered.
Official Connecticut Health Insurance Marketplace
UConn Health Center guide to navigating information about the ACA
Navigating the health care system, as presented by the UConn Health Center Library.
For Assistance in Spanish - ayudalocal.cuidadodesalud.gov
Obtenga ayuda personalizada solicitando cobertura médica.
Events at the library
• Medicare Counseling Tuesdays and Thursdays 1-5pm.
Library staff cannot assist customers in completing the application or enrollment process, but can provide technology assistance in using the library’s public computers and printers. Librarians can also make referrals to local agencies with trained application assisters.